Shepard Hall, at the City College of New York, was originally completed in 1907. Subsequent failure of the exterior terracotta figuring, which comprises approximately 20% of the facade areas, threatened the building with structural collapse. This restoration project involved the removal and replacement of all of the 72,000 terracotta facade elements. These original pieces where recast in GFRC (glass fiber reinforced concrete), and then reinstalled onto a new steel bracket substructure. This building, designed by George B. Post, is a state and federal landmark.
Project Architect with SWN Architects